Sunday, April 4, 2010

Journal 8

Designing Under the Influence
The article raises the question "Is anything I create as a designer truly my own/ purely unique to me?"

The brain works in mysterious ways and holds so many different memories. According to Michael Bierut, designs which we just pass on the street without taking a double look are stored in our minds. When we design we could be copying something that at once caught our eye.

It is important to know about past and current designers and their styles. We are still young in design and are trying to create a style of our own that is unique. It is hard to do this and not be accused of copying someone else's work, instead we should look to them for inspiration.

I am not sure that I could say that i have created something that was purely unique to me. I am trying to experiment and see what I can create and what style I am good at. With all of our exercises in type and graphics I feel that we are encouraged to branch out and try different ideas. If we are going to far or too crazy we tone it down and can create something.

Alternatives for Futura:

One possibility would be Gill Sans or Rotis Sans. They are similar in the characteritics. Or Frutiger could be used because it has sharp edges, a stem structure close to Futura's and large circular bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment